Friday, September 16, 2011

Why I love this city to death:

So, I may already have spoken about how awesome our location is, but I'm going to again because I can.

First: we live down the street from a really convenient metro(underground/subway) and tram station, so we can get everywhere super easily.  Second: these stations also happen to be on this beautiful square with a giant freaking gorgeous church oh my god I can't even explain.  And we get to see this every day (každy den, if you will).  And it's amazing.  Not only that, but we live on an equally cute square in which two nights ago, we heard accordion music, looked out our window, and street performers were just wandering around in costume!!  They were in gypsy type outfits, a couple with face paint, or masks, and 2 people on stilts!  It was freaking amazing!

STILTS!!!

They were so cute. We think they were promoting something, but we couldn't make out what exactly.  Regardless they got quite a lot of people's attention. 

And the last two afternoons there have been festivals in the square by the church.  Yesterday it was some kind of fundraiser for an evangelical church? The translation was a little sketchy, so we're not entirely sure that's correct, but there was a stage and girls doing Irish stepdance (really surreal to see that in Prague, let me tell you), and a bunch of cute little booths selling random goods.  And then today, I got back from Czech class and there was another little fair/festival setting up, and it turned out to be a kind of scaled down renaissance festival type thing.  There were all these booths with handmade goods, and all of them were kind of like the "traditional old Czech jobs" as one of the booth workers tried to explain to us.  It was amazing.  There was beautiful handcrafted jewelry, amazing knick-knacks, and great food.  

Martha and I got some food, and just sat on the steps of the church and watched the people mingle in the booths.  I love this city with everything that I have.

The beautiful church I get to see every day, during the Irish festival thingy
And tonight I'm going to see an opera.  I just, do not have enough words to express how excited I am every day to be here, and how amazingly blessed I feel to be able to experience all of this culture, and with such ease.  I expected to have to search for experiences like these, not just have them arrive on my doorstep.  I feel so lucky.

Anyway, that's enough of me gushing for today.  Real classes start Monday!!  I'm so excited!
Much love!
Alyssa

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing! The other day my roomie and I wanted to see The Marriage of Figaro, and when we checked on the night of the day the tickets started selling, it was already too late, all the $20 tickets had been sold and only $45 ones were left. I can't imagine how awesome it would be to be able to flash your student id and get in for a few euros. I'm so happy to see you taking advantage of all these opportunities and doing so much cool stuff! I also really enjoy how much you update your blog. That is freakin' sick, dude - as a friend of mine would say :D btw, is there a photo of martha? it sounds like you two are tasting prague together, and i'd love a two-shot!

    ReplyDelete