Sunday, October 9, 2011

Česky Krumlov and Třebon (or how to get your study abroad program to give you awesome free overnight trips)

So this weekend there were a bunch of different overnight trips available for people here in Prague through CIEE.  My roommate Martha and I decided that we both wanted to go to Česky Krumlov and Třebon.

Česky Krumlov is a really cute Czech town, that is mostly tourists, but there's a nice castle, and some really beautiful architecture.  Also, some pretty interesting museums (had we had more time, and the inclination).  Aside from being absolutely freezing cold, it was a really great weekend!

Some highlights:
1) I got served trout with a head.  I had to have someone at my table decapitate it for me before I could eat it.  (in true gentlemanly style he also graciously took the head and kept it on his plate so I could eat without my fish staring at me).  
2) There was a castle, with a tower, and everything was gorgeous.
3) A brewery tour in Třebon.  It was really interesting, and we got to taste some delicious beer.  Also, dark beer = vastly superior to light beer.
4) There was a baroque theatre in said castle, which had fully functioning stage machinery.  You heard me correctly oh theatre peoples.  It was literally the only reason I wanted to go on this tour.  I mean, after you see a theatre with fully functioning baroque era stage machinery, the rest is just icing.  (Unfortunately it was also the only place I went where I couldn't take pictures...).  In any case, it was just as glorious as I expected.  The perspective scenery was breathtaking, and actually getting to see the trap doors, and all the insides below stage, it was just absolutely a dream come true.  Thanks, History of Theatre I for starting my love for stage machinery.  I cannot even express how much I wish we still used it.  So absolutely amazing.

Some pictures:
Delicious garlic soup in a bread bowl.  It was absolutely freezing this weekend, so soup was our saving grace.

Česky Krumlov from the Castle!!

So we couldn't take pictures outside, but here's the theatre!!

They had a whole bunch of little chairs like this.  Couldn't resist a photo op (mom, dad, I'm looking at you ;)

Steps up to a beautiful church.  This image was actually on a lot of postcards, so I thought I'd recreate it.

Brewery in Třebon.

Bohemia regent kegs. 

1 comment:

  1. yay for photos of food! I kind of wish I could see this fish with head.
    Sounds like the trip was great and free? Even better. Also, I'm really enjoying the cool Czech accents on the letters! So cool!

    ReplyDelete